This course develops your craft skills to work at recognised industrial standards within the bricklaying trade. You will learn new masonry, block work and brickwork skills and will gain the underpinning knowledge and skills for a career in the industry.
Updated August 2017
Entry will be based on a combination of GCSE passes, previous work experience, achievement on a relevant progression course and results of an online assessment – this will be discussed at an interview. Maths and English at Level C or above would be preferable.
Mandatory / optional units:
- Interpreting working drawings to set out masonry structures
- Thin joint masonry and masonry cladding
- Building solid walling
- Isolated and attached piers
- Building cavity walling forming masonry structures
- Repairing and maintaining masonry structures in the workplace
- Conforming to general health and safety in the workplace
- Installing drainage in the workplace
- Handling and storing resources in the workplace
- Application of Number Level 1
- Communication Level 1
- Employment rights and responsibilities
You can progress to Level 3 Trowel Occupations or if your work arrangements have changed such that you are covering other aspects of construction. If so, you may see it to be beneficial to diversify and gain industry approved accreditation through our other construction courses.
Learners will attend training on a 'one day per week' basis to study the Level 2 Diploma for the practical and theory elements. This includes end of unit practical and multiple-choice tests. Whilst at work you will need to gather evidence of competence for your NVQ qualification. The NVQ is assessed by the gathering of photographic evidence, witness testimonies and on-site visits from your tutor/assessor.
Apprentices are assigned a training mentor, who will visit them regularly to ensure they are happy with their progress and that they are on track to achieve.
It will take between 12 - 24 months to complete the apprenticeship framework dependent on ability and prior experience.